Thursday 17 December 2009

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


My magazine uses some of the typical conventions from popular music magazines such as Mojo and NME. My magazine follows a similar layout to that of NME, I achieved this by sticking with a simple layout which accentuates the large image and it’s Anchorage.



I feel by using a similar style to NME it allows the full effect of the dramatic image to be emphasised to the reader. By using the simple layout convention it allows for the image to be interpreted in different ways by the audience making it more of an appealing magazine to purchase. I chose to challenge the convention mostly used by NME or Kerrang of having the person in the main image fill the entire front cover. I did this as it allows for the surroundings of artist to reflect the mood of the article setting it out as dramatic story.








With the severity of my main article being used with such a dramatic anchorage I feel that a more mature colour scheme was needed. Rather than going with a similar colour scheme to that of NME which is more vibrant. I used a similar convention to that of Mojo magazine which gives it a darker feel allowing it to reflect the main articles purpose.


My double page spread shows similar conventions to those used in an article I researched from NME of Lily Allen. With a large picture being used on the right hand side of the page I think this grabs the reader’s attention and makes them wonder why such a large image is needed causing them to read further on into the magazine. The text I’ve used can contradict usual conventions of music magazines as instead of using a structured interview I allowed the telling of a major event I felt it would give more effect to the article if it was told in a freely flowing manner, compared to more structured interviews which are shown in other articles from magazines such as NME, Kerrang or MOJO.







I used a formal font for my double page spread to reflect the formality of the story and keep a mature image allowing it to relate to main story.
By sticking with the conventions of some typical magazines and altering a few of its own, I think it allows for STRUMLINE to be shown in its own unique way drawing more attention from its audience.




Please leave your comments
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment